Monday, January 30, 2017

True Grit

I enjoyed True Grit because Mattie was so badass. I especially admired her when she jumped into the river with Blackie when they wouldn’t let her cross on the boat. She wouldn’t let anything stop her. At the end, when she lost a hand, I couldn’t believe that she stayed strong. She was incredible at the age of only fourteen. But I also realized that she was different from me. I wouldn’t have been satisfied with that life.
However, I still liked reading about her life. The thrilling parts about a western is the lawlessness that’s in it. It’s on the edge of civilization. Everyone fights for their survival. There are no rules. That excites people. That’s why we like Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Trek too. It’s the quest for mighty treasures. And you get to kill off dangerous people along the way with no consequences.
Yet, this is only great in books and films. This doesn’t work in real life. So the fact that we’re living in a culture that believes in the Western ideals is extremely concerning. But I can see how it is reflected in our politics. Our new president is looking for a gunfight with anyone who threatens him. It’s also becoming more of a man’s world. The men are handling the politics and economy and everything else. And it’s not the men with the correct priorities. Our president signed a bill that limited women’s reproductive health. He was surrounded by a group of advisors at the time. All of the advisors were men. It’s like we’re moving backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment